How about a nice wheat berry salad?
Everyone likes wheat berries, right?
They’re a nice healthy little whole grain. Chewy with a nutty taste that makes you feel like you’re eating something a little fun.
Not every grain can say that. Trust me, I’ve asked them.
So anyway, once I decided on the base, the rest just kinda came together.
Also known as, I-just-pulled-things-from-the-fridge-that-I-thought-would-go-well-with-it.
Cause that always works out well…
Okay, maybe not always - but I got lucky this time.
Once everything was piled on, all that was left to do was dress it. It is a salad after all.
Cranberry Apple Wheat Berry Salad
- 3 cups of cooked wheat berries
- 1 gala apple, diced
- 1/2 cup steamed mukimame
- 1/3 cup freshly squeezed orange juice
- 1/3 cup dried cranberries
- 1/2 cup walnuts halves
- 3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- Squeeze oranges through a sifter making sure no pulp falls through
- In a small bowl, add cranberries to the orange juice and let soak for 10-15 minutes.
- Combine wheat berries, apples, walnuts and edamame in a large bowl stirring gently to combine.
- Drain the cranberries, reserving the orange juice.
- Stir the cranberries into the wheat berry mixture.
- Whisk the reserved orange juice, red wine vinegar and oil in a small bowl until combined.
- Pour over the salad and gently toss coat completely.
- Serve cold or at room temperature. Store in an air-tight container in the refrigerator for up to one week.