And the comfort food streak continues!
I made a whole wheat pesto pizza tonight using Trader Joe’s whole wheat dough:
So simple and so incredibly delicious!
I rolled out the dough then used this homemade pesto to slather over the the base.
I then topped that with fresh mozzarella…
And put it in the oven on 325 for 12 minutes.
Just when the cheese was perfectly bubbly, I pulled it out and dug in!
This pizza with the homemade pesto was the best one yet!
Whole Wheat Pesto Pizza
For the pizza:
- 1 lb fresh whole wheat pizza dough (I used Trader Joe’s whole wheat)
- Fresh mozzarella
- Homemade pesto (see recipe below)
For the pesto:
- 2 cups packed fresh basil leaves
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1/4 cup pine nuts
- 2/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1/2 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
- Prepare pesto:
- Combine the basil, garlic, and pine nuts in a food processor and pulse until coarsely chopped. Add 1/2 cup of the oil and process until fully incorporated and smooth. Season with salt and pepper.
- Transfer the pesto to a large serving bowl and mix in the cheese.
- Roll out fresh dough and place on an oven-safe pizza pan.
- Spread pesto generously around the dough then layer fresh mozzarella on top.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes or until cheese bubbles.