There’s something about vegetables that make me so happy.
Maybe it’s because I love bright colors.
Or maybe it’s just because I love vegetables.
Either way, they make me happy. And that’s a good thing.
I’ve been wanting to make lasagna for ages and when I came across Lindsay’s recipe the other day and saw just how simple it looked, I decided to bite the bullet and just finally do it!
And boy am I glad I did.
Not only is this, as Linsday puts it, “skinny” lasagna, but it’s just flippin’ delicious.
Whole Wheat Vegetable Lasagna (source)
- 3 cups chopped veggies of your choice (I used broccoli, zucchini and red and yellow peppers)
- ½ chopped onion
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup fat-free ricotta cheese
- 1 egg
- 2 cups fresh spinach
- 2 cups tomato sauce
- 12 cooked whole grain lasagna noodles
- 1 cup reduced-fat mozzarella cheese, shredded
- Chop the veggies. Saute the onion and garlic in the oil over medium high heat. Add veggies and saute until tender. Set aside.
- Whisk egg into ricotta cheese and stir in fresh spinach.
- Pour a little sauce in the bottom of a greased 9×13 pan. Top with 4 lasagna noodles,1/2 cup ricotta mixture, ½ of the veggies, and ¾ cup sauce. Repeat; top entire pan with noodles, remaining sauce, and mozzarella cheese.
- Cover and bake for 40 minutes at 375 degrees. Remove foil and bake for 10 minutes more or until cheese is bubbly