There are few things in life I love more than carbs and cheese.
Especially when the carbs are whole wheat and the cheese is reduced fat making it healthy, filling and delicious.
I knew the moment I saw this on Bitchin’ Camero that I absolutely had to try it.
What is there not to like about this recipe?
Cheesy Whole Wheat Pasta with Chicken and Spinach (from Bitchin Camero)
Makes about 8 servings
- 1 lb. pasta (I used whole wheat rigatoni)
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts (about 2 lbs.), diced into 2 inch pieces
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 8 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tsp. salt
- 5 cups fresh spinach, chopped
- 1/4 cup white wine
- 2 cups reduced fat mozzarella cheese
- Preheat the oven to 350°.
- Set a large pot of water to boil.
- Once it comes to a rolling boil, salt it and cook the pasta until just al dente. Drain.
- While the pasta is cooking, set a large skillet over medium heat.Once it’s hot, heat the olive oil then add the chicken. Brown the chicken on all sides – about 10 minutes.
- Add the garlic and simmer with the chicken until it’s fragrant and begins to turn golden – about 3 minutes.
- Add the salt, spinach and white wine and cook for an additional 3-5 minutes or until spinach has wilted.
- Toss all the contents together and layer in mozzarella cheese, making sure to save the majority of it for a generous layer on top.
- Cover and bake for 25 minutes or until cheese is bubbling and slightly brown.