You know how sometimes when you get that afternoon snack craving it feels like absolutely nothing will work but carbs and chocolate?
Usually when that’s the case for me, my go-to is to grab some form of an energy bar.
Luna. Clif. Kashi.
Any of those will do so long as it contains oats, nuts and chocolate.
The only problem with that, is at sometimes over $2 a pop, it can add up. So I decided to make my own!
Chewy, no-bake peanut butter dark chocolate granola bars. Not only are these way cheaper, but they’re just about as easy [I might even argue easier] as running into the store to buy one.
I love not only how few steps there are in this recipe, but also how few [though powerful] ingredients there are.
Hard to beat. VERY hard to beat.
Chewy No-Bake Peanut Butter Dark Chocolate Granola Bars (bar base from howsweeteats)
Makes 12 squares
- 4 cups old-fashioned oats
- 1/2 cup honey
- 2 tablespoons of chia seeds
- 1/2 cup unsalted, roasted peanuts
- 3/4 – 1 cup natural creamy peanut butter
- Package of dark chocolate chips
- Line a 9×13 inch baking pan with parchment paper
- Combine oats through peanut butter in a large bowl and mix until well combined
- Press combined ingredients into prepared pan and put in the the refrigerator for at least 60 minutes [I did mine overnight]
- Heat package of dark chocolate chips on the stovetop in a small pot until just melted; stirring vigorously the entire time, being careful not to burn the chocolate
- Immediately pour chocolate over cooled, set bar base then place back into the fridge to allow the chocolate to set [again, I did this overnight]
- Once cooled, slice into 12 squares then wrap individually with plastic wrap